This page is dedicated to discussing my suggestions for improvement for the Magellan Cyclo 505
If you want to make a comment, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
Since v22.214.171.12408 2014-04-25 software was released in Australia on 27 May 2014 my Cyclo 505 has been rock solid. Every feature works as advertised and all of the sensor problems that myself and many other users experienced with the v3.1 software are gone. I happily recommend the Cyclo 505 to anyone looking for mapping-capable bike computer. This is still a fairly new product and I expect further improvements in future software updates. The following items are mainly my suggestions for improvement, feel free to add your own at the bottom of the page. Also feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.
If you want to read some reviews of the Cyclo 505 try these:
DC Rainmaker has done an initial review and a review of v4 new features
CyclingTips has also done a review
Alia Parker (CycleTraveller) has also done a review
The Cyclo user forum is located at http://www.cycloGPS.com
1. Recordings & History
(a) Since updating to v126.96.36.19908 2014-04-25 every history entry has the wrong date (1 day previous to recording) but the date is correct once uploaded to the Magellan website/Strava and viewed there. The date remains incorrect in the history list.
(b) The odometer cannot be reset or edited. Many users want to start the odometer at a predefined value so that it accurately reflects the distance the bike has travelled.
(a) The buttons that come up for confirmations are too small. Should fill the screen so they are easy to press. The font on the messages is also too small. In fact most fonts are too small and could easily be increased. Bigger is better IMO. The Dashboard screen can have from 1 to 8 items on first two screens BUT whether it is 8 items or one item, the display font is not much larger. Need some BIG FONTS for when there are few items displayed. When three items are displayed the first field is large and the other two smaller, when four items are displayed, all fields are smaller. Suggest it would be better to keep the first large display and split the bottom field in two. Same for 5 items, keep the first field big and then split rows 2 and 3 into two. Maybe the tile arrangement could be user selectable?
(b) In my opinion confirmations should be omitted wherever possible. For example when the Cyclo is moved away from the bike, the Speed/Cadence sensor icon flashes, but then a confirmation message pops up and has to be acknowledged.
Here is a list of confirmation messages that I believe are not required:
(1) Press and hold power off for 3 secs and it still wants confirmation for power off
(2) Press record and it wants confirmation.
(3) Press Record Pause and it asks do I want to pause/stop/cancel. Should be one soft button for pause and one for stop and cancel not required
(4) After Record Pause, press Resume and it asks if I want to stop/resume/cancel. Should be one soft button for Resume, One for Stop and cancel not required
(5) Press Stop Navigation and it wants confirmation
(6) Detects movement and asks if I want to start recording. Can’t turn this off, should be user selectable The movement detection seems to happen when I go over a bump, not when I start pedalling.
(7) Sensor lost and asks for confirmation.
(c) There is no way to lock the screen other than wait for the timeout. Suggest press black button for 2 seconds for lock or 4 seconds for power off.
(d) There is really only two customisable dashboard screens (Screens 1 and 2). Suggest add two more. Also changing displayed values displayed requires going back to the settings screen. Suggest make each displayed value long press to select a new value to display.
(a) Getting Started Documentation: A few hard to follow pictures for setup made the process much harder than it should be. No documentation at all on the out front mount and I had no idea how I was supposed to get it onto my handlebars.
(b) User Manual: After 2 major software updates a lot of the user manual is already out of date.
4. www.magellancyclo.com Website
1. Cannot create routes or edit routes
2. When the 505 is connected the website constantly shows that it is Syncing when it is not. Syncing should be started with a sync button and then stop afterwards.
3. No instructions on how to load 3rd party tracks and website doesn’t seem to be able to do it. Had to go to a forum to find out how to copy new tracks to 505 manually. Eventually found those instructions hidden in the manual. For anyone else who is looking: Just plug the 505 into your PC and copy the gpx file to Mgn_data\Dodge\Tracks
4. Website cannot load tracks directly to 505. Cannot even reload tracks recorded on 505 back to 505 if required.
4. Magellan Cyclo desktop tool (only used for software and map updates)
1. Tells you to “Close this Desktop Tool before accessing www.magellancyclo.com to avoid connection conflict problems.” but there is no easy way to close it. Clicking the cross in the top right minimises it to the tray but does not close it. Can be closed by right clicking launch bar icon and selecting Exit. Lame. No improvement in v4.04 released 27 May 2014
2. Always starts up with “Run at Startup” ticked. Unticking it has no affect, it still always starts with Windows and this option is always ticked.
Workaround: Under Windows 8.1 go into Task Manager and disable it on the Start Up tab.
Here is the full list of v4.0 features (from http://www.magellansupport.com.au and www.magellancyclo.com)
- Sensor detection improvement
- Improved title bar with clear overview of the sensors connected
- Improved profiles of the connected sensors
- When the connection is being made, the activated sensor icons will be blinking
- Sensors will be linked to an unique profile
- Unwanted sensors will not be picked up anymore
- Improved layout on sensor parameters
- Faster route calculation
- Correct time when uploading
- Improved zoom in functions of elevation graphs
- Improved external .gpx reading
- Highways are shown on higher zoom level
- Auto calculation of the wheel circumference
- Change preview colour Route to Track
- Faster reading of track & history files
- Connectivity to Iphone or Android phone
- View who is calling
- Reading an SMS
- Answering a call when connected with headset + microphone (wired or BT)
- Controls music – play, pause, stop and next song
- Control playlist – go through your playlist to search another song
- Control music volume (Android only)
- Bluetooth HR & Speed-Cadence sensors supported
- Connect to Shimano Di2 electronic bicycle shifting systems. (Di2Wireless Unit required)
- Allows user to see gear info during a ride
- Di2 gear info will be stored in history & gpx file
- Shows Di2 battery level
- Connects to ANT+ trainers: Elite digital Qubo, Tacx Bushido and Tacx Genius
- Use Surprise Me to create route, and simulate riding it indoors, and experience the corresponding resistance on that route!
- Where Am I function – Displays the current GPS location with the coordinates info, and even send an SMS to a contact, directly from the same screen (Android only)
- Add a detour directly on the map screen
- Improved MTB route calculation
- Display % of unpaved roads during Surprise Me, in MTB profile
- 7 different map colour schemes
- New Odometer in History that provides all details on all your rides, both recorded and not recorded
- Improved recalculation of track when changing route settings
- Able to select tracks based on closest distance
- Add message in Main menu when device is locked
- Improved visibility when following a route over unpaved roads
- Allow navigation to the centre of a post code
- Streets are shown on higher zoom level
- Swipe is now an option rather than using arrows to change/scroll screens
- Unexpected traffic event can be avoided via the detour button on the map screen
- Able to select tracks and POI’s based on the closest distance
- other bug fixes